Sunday, March 1, 2009

meatballs

If you read my post about Meals on Wheels (mow's) you may remember that one lady gave me her meatball recipe, and I hoped to try them. Well, time has a way of slipping by, and Friday I had to tell her I hadn't tried them yet. So, she gave me directions again, and I wrote them down this time. Yesterday afternoon I picked up some meat and breadcrumbs, and gave it a try. It was good! I'm going to list the ingredients as she told me, so I can't guarantee it will come out the same way twice, but I plan on making it again. The main thing I did different was use it on a meatball sandwich...I had neglected to get spaghetti, thinking I had some at home but I didn't. Anyhoo, this is how Pia makes her meatballs:

"How many you cooking for?"

I told her since it's just me at home, let's say for 2 -4 and I can have leftovers.

"Okay. You put a some olive oil in the bottom of your saucepan. You know what olive oil is? You got to have it in there."

Use your imagination to provide the wonderful lilt in her voice...

"Then put in a can of tomatoe paste," this as she showed me the small 6 oz can. "Add about 2 or 3 cans of water, and a bit of salt, and let it simmer.

"Now get you some good ground meat, about 1 pound. Put your meat in a bowl, and add in an egg, salt, pepper, some parmiagana (parmesan cheese), plain breadcrumbs, a little bit of fresh garlic, and one or two parsley. I usually use a fork at first to mix it in, then get my hands in to mix it up. Make sure you use plain breadcrumbs, you don't need that seasoned stuff.

"Pinch off some of the meat and roll it in little balls, about so big (indicating about 1 1/2 inches). Drop them into the sauce and let them cook for about an hour or so. You don't need to cook the meatballs first, they cook in the sauce.

"Come back when you're ready and cook your spaghetti. Layer your spaghetti, with the sauce and meatballs next, and some parmiagana on top. You're going to love it. Try."

Thanks, Pia. I did, and I do.

No comments: