Thursday, April 7, 2011

getting closer

Well, I'm making a bit of progress on the yard.  Picked up some plants over the weekend and got them plopped in the ground before the rain rolled in Sunday nite/Monday early hours.   Continuing my line of plants-with-a-history, I also gained 5 rose bushes from David that he didn't want anymore.  I trimmed them down quite a bit for the move, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they survive the trip.  Other "history" plantings I have, though not necessarily in the back yard, include the cannas from my Burleson house, an oleander Nolene was tossing out a year ago, and some mums from Troy.  I like to be able to see the connections.  Guess you can tell I'm not a "formal" gardener.  Not really much of a gardener at all when you get right down to it, but I want it to feel home-y.  Know what I mean?

I definitely need to get more plants, but it will come.  These are Japanese boxwoods.  I wanted a green backdrop, and like the looseness of them.  David suggested that I could trim up the lower growth to expose the stems after a year or so if I wanted.  Well, I jumped the gun and did the one on the far left.  I like, and at some point the others will be trimmed that way.  (The little bit of green in the front is from the wind that went crazy the other night, and didn't get picked up till after the picture was taken.)

The St. Augustine sod is going in next Monday, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.  I'll get more pics posted after that. 

At the last-of-the-season HGTV quilting and sewing forum Friday night pj party, we were taught how to make credit card holder key chains.  I can tell it's going to come in handy when I take my cruise to Alaska this summer.  I'll attach it to a lanyard, and wear it around my neck.  Will certainly be convenient while going on the excursions.  Hopefully these tutorials will start up again about next October.

No comments: