Saturday, April 23, 2011

simple things



I've had this set of pillow cases for years.  I can't even say where I got them or when.  Maybe I picked them up from Mom's stuff when she passed away, or maybe I got them at a garage sale.  I just know they were hand embroidered, and are either tatted or crocheted at the opening.  Now some of the embroidery is worn away, and the tatting is looking pretty sad.  Actually they've been this way quite awhile, and still I hesitate to throw them away.  Someone put some time into them.  What were her thoughts?  Was she frugal and making do?  Or was she someone with an interest in making her house a home with these personal touches?



Finally I decided I would make my own embroidered pillow cases.  I like having handwork to do while I sit in my easy chair watching tv, to be somewhat productive.  So I went to Hobby Lobby and got a new envelope of embroidery transfer patterns.  I wanted to step away from the white of the original inspiration set, so went with green and yellow.  The little trim piece has the yellow and green, with an accent color of blue in there too.  I'm kind of lazy in working with multiple colors of thread while embroidering, and I'm sure that's why I enjoy redwork, so I chose green and blue for the two lone colors.   I did stitch one heart in red, but just didn't like the effect so I took it out.  Anyway, here's one of my pillow cases.  The other should be done in a few days.

Who knows, maybe in 30 or 40 years someone might wonder what I was thinking of as I spent my time stitching pillow cases.  I hope they have pleasant dreams.

In other newsworthy events, Ashlynn stayed with me yesterday for a couple of hours.  Usually she and Rhett come together, but he was in school for a bad weather makeup day.  This was possibly the first time that she and I have had one-on-one time together!   Nice morning.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

LOVE Ashylynn's bucket hat!

I have a set of pillowcases with crocheted yellow roses...three on each pillowcase. The pair was a wedding gift for my parents. I show them off on my guest bed. But when guests come, I take those cases off and put on a different pair. I'll have to post them one day.

PS BEAUTIFUL yard! Hope you get enough rain to sustain it so that you won't have to run up your water bill.

Sherry said...

Re: Your comment on my blog.
Well...um...Okay. I'll just come out and say it. No. I can't adopt you as my granddaughter. You are too big to sit on my lap! ;-)
But please believe me...other than that...you are special. :-)