Tuesday, October 18, 2011

quilting stuff

Where does the time go???  Blink twice, and another week has rolled around.

I went to a quilt show in Gainesville (TX) Saturday at their civic center.  I really liked the size of it.  There were several rows of quilts to look over, and vendors set up around the perimeter.  Gainesville is about 90 miles from here, and made for a nice little Saturday drive.  I got a couple of patterns, an older magazine that's not in print anymore about miniature quilts, and a few fat quarters.   The larger quilt shows are nice, but I like the flavor of the small town venue.   Here's a sample of what they had to show.



There was also a Texas theme redwork.  Following it is a close up to see more of the detail.

They only have a show every other year, so I'll have to mark my calendar for 2013.

Friday night there was a tutorial over on the HGTV quilting and needlework forum, this one on making fabric postcards.  It was taught by Gonesewin, who also happens to be one of my on-line Scrabble buddies.  Several years ago I tried my hand at the postcards, but wasn't pleased with it.  This class helped simplify it, and I'll probably make a few.  This was my class project.  Of course there are areas that will improve with diligence and practice, but I think it's cute.
And in the bright idea department, I came up with the idea of getting a pocket protector to use in a purse pocket to hold pens and pencils.  99 cents for three of them, heckuva deal.  For years I've carried a purse insert that had all the little pockets and compartments, but it was a bit big for this particular purse, not to mention it's wearing out.  Sorry, no picture, but I think we've all seen pocket protectors before.

Oh, and before I forget, these are the patterns I got in Gainesville.  They're by JudyDidIt Designs, and my patterns came from Barb's Quilt Nook, Etc shop. They'll be cute little wallhangings.


Guess that's it for now.  Have a good week everyone.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

When I lived south of Houston, I thoroughly enjoyed going to the International Quilt Show every fall. Sometimes my SIL and I went both Saturday and Sunday.

But I don't think I'd drive down there just for the IQS. I am loving the smaller shows in Tyler and even smaller in Jefferson. There's time to see every quilt, then go get a good lunch, and do some LQS shopping.