Saturday, October 8, 2011

ah, October!

It's nice to be able to step outside and wear my jeans.  Nothing like a brisk Autumn morning.  Granted, those jeans give way to some shorter pants before too many hours have passed, but it won't be long until it's cool all day.

I got busy this week and made a couple of my little witch towels.  Well, not mine.  The pattern is shown here.  I deviated a bit from the instructions, as do a lot of people.  That's the fun in making it, you can be creative if you're so inclined.   On these two, one was made with the little ruffle, one without.  One of the ladies on the HGTV Quilting and Sewing forum mentioned that she cut the towels in half, making two from one towel.  I really think I'm going to go back and do that.  They're basically decorative so the full size isn't necessary, and too they won't be so easy to fall off the handle since they'll attach with a velcro folded top.  Don't you think the purple shoes give it a nice little flair???

I've also been doing a bit of embroidery.  Nice relaxing handwork.

In between all of that I managed to read a book this week, Condoleezza Rice's Extraordinary, Ordinary People.  Autobiographical, she talks a lot about her parents and family.  She's an only child, so maybe I should say extended family.  Very good, I'd recommend it.

Then today I went to Ashlynn's first dancing performance at Burleson's Pioneer Days.  She looked really sweet, and did a good job...as did all the little performers.  In this picture, she's in the middle.
And, last but not least, I tried my hand at another sketch today.  I know, I'd do better if I'd draw some everyday, but sometimes there just aren't enough hours.  Seems odd to be retired and saying that, but it's true.  The nose isn't right, as well as the beard, but oh well, at least I'm trying something different.  Maybe this old dog can learn some new tricks.  ;)   Hmmm, I've just noticed he reminds me of my first husband...
Here's what I was going by:

Enjoy the cool air and crisp Autumn leaves!

No comments: