Wednesday, September 3, 2008

California's progress






So, I've been working on this California wall hanging for a bit now, and it's coming right along. After looking at maps, and thinking of things relevant to the state and Antelope Valley, squares were cut (a bunch of them!) and the placement began. Then, more squares were put into place, and like a puzzle, moved around to see what fit where. By no means is it intended to be an exact map of the state, but I think its respectable. We have the Salton Sea, a segment of the San Andreas Fault close to home (it is earthquake country, after all), the San Francisco Bay, military bases, the wine country, and the gold rush is represented. And whatever else I threw in.

I think all of the squares are in their final resting place, so now I'm sewing the strips together. After that, a border of contrasting color will go at the top and bottom, then John and Bonnie's personalized patches inset into the final rows of top and bottom. I've talked to my quilting friend, Ty, and I'm hopeful she can fit this into her schedule in a couple of weeks.

It will be fun to see the final outcome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Evening! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Y'know, I've done a fair number of ht e"postage stamp" type quilts like your California one. I'm not ashamed to admit that I use the fusible grid to make quick work or piecing them together. But I'm way lazy like that sometimes. Catch ya later!!!

blkjsdc

JessicaSews said...

Your quilt,
shared on the msg board,
caught my eye -
It's pretty wonderful!!

~ Jes