Friday, May 18, 2012

chicken soup

I'm not known for cooking a lot,  but there are a few things that I enjoy and prepare regularly.  Lately, this chicken soup has been a favorite.  

I've had this recipe for several years...long enough that I can't remember where it came from, and I don't still have the original written copy.  Usually I just wing it, and it seems to work.   I don't want a huge pot when I'm finished because I'll  be about the only one eating it, unless I happen to take a bowl to my neighbor or give one to Elizabeth for her lunch, so I just use one chicken breast.  You could certainly use more if you want to.  Even with a giveaway or two, I still have several bowls to enjoy for a few days.   Its flexible enough that you can add or delete whatever you want.

Chicken Soup or maybe a version of Tortilla Soup

1 chicken breast (or more if you prefer)
1 1/2 - 2" of water to cover      
boil chicken, then shred it and put back in the water; removing bones if necessary

add the following, and simmer awhile:

1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes and  chopped green chilis (I use the store brand of Rotel)  (optional)
salt and pepper to taste, if any
1 Tbsp chili powder or to taste if you want more
couple sprinkles cayenne pepper (to taste, and definitely optional)
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 ribs of celery, chopped
1/2 onion, diced or chopped

 then add and cook until these are heated:
1 can great northern beans, drained
1 can carrots  (if using fresh, add them with the bell pepper, celery, and onions)

can be served with any or all of the following:

grated cheese          sour cream             sliced avocado     
tortilla strips (in the area of croutons at the grocery store)

Some may not think of soups as summer fare, but this tastes good and is a nice break from sandwiches.  Or heck, even have it with your sandwich!

Here you see it just cooked, served up, and embellished with cheese and tortilla strips.  Yummo.  :)



No comments: