Friday, August 17, 2012

I learned a bit this week

Since I disconnected my U-Verse because I thought it was messing up, only to discover my television still doing the same thing afterwards, I knew it was time for a new television.  Things have changed quite a bit since the last time I bought one, and I'm so impressed with the flat screens being light weight enough that I can handle it.   David came by this morning and got the old tv out of the house for me, and I took it from there.

When I started on this journey, I only knew of the term "plasma" tv.  As I talked to a few knowledgeable people, I learned that for my needs (i.e. very few bells and whistles, I just want to get local channels and watch some dvds and Netflix) the choices were plasma, LCD, and LED LCD.  Plasma would be good for fast moving action, like a lot of sports activities.  The LED LCD is the newest technology, and of course with that distinction comes a higher price tag.  I didn't want to spend an arm and leg on this, so LCD worked out fine for me.

I thought of the 40" or 42", but quickly learned that compared to a 32" I would be spending 75-100% more.  Since I had a 32" previously and it worked fine, I decided to stay with that size.  Granted, the screen is now rectangular rather than square, so the picture is a bit wider and not quite as tall as what I was used to.  Overall though, I think it will work just fine for me.

Here's what I got:






See that little black rectangle on the side?  That's the antenna.  Things have changed from the old rabbit ears.

After I assembled this (all by myself!), I've watched a bit of local tv and one movie this afternoon.  I think it will work out just fine.

I mentioned previously that I got some shredding done earlier this week.  This morning I shredded another couple of bags, and tossed some miscellaneous papers


Next week I'll start keeping Elise again for the school year.  She stayed here Wednesday while David played golf with his dad, and we both liked the feel of being back in our routine.  While she was here I was able to finish a little top that was already cut out.  I've got a bit of adjusting to do on the straps, but it came out cute.



So that's it for now.  Have a good weekend everyone.  :) 

1 comment:

Sherry said...

We still use an outside antennae. I'm not paying for 320 channels we would never use. So local programming for us too. What ticks me off about digital...and you've probably read it on my blog...when the signal gets weak, there's no picture! I absolutely DETEST that. Pre-all digital, at least you could see ghosts and static and hear what was going on. Many mornings I sit and watch the words "No Signal." Drives me nuts! (LOL I know - SHORT trip.) :D