Monday, November 3, 2008

Mansfield Writes

I went to a program Saturday put on by the Friends of the Library here in Mansfield, called "Mansfield Writes". There was a panel of 10 published authors, representing a variety of genres, and they each spoke for a few minutes, covering a variety of topics.

Some of the topics? Writing under more than one name, failing your way to success, writing in multiple genres, the heady life of a writer, and finding your voice.

Here's a listing of the authors:

Celya Bowers/Kennedy Shaw, romantic suspense
Juliet Burns, romance
Rachel Caine, vampires
Angela Cavener, paranormal suspense
Carole Nelson Douglas, mysteries
P. N. Elrod, vampires
James Ward Lee, Texas subjects
Janis Susan May, romance and other genres
Laurie Moore, mysteries
Martha Moore, children's books

They're in the Fort Worth/Mansfield/Dallas area, so these are local people who "made good". The audience filled the room to overflowing, so for each one who's made it, there are plenty ready to step up and join them.

Our library is one more reason I'm glad I moved to Mansfield.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Thanks for the nice comment. I have 2 machines and they both quilt fine. It took a little practice though. One is a Singer and the other is a bernina 630. But the both quilt equally as good. When I first started, I practiced on sandwiched pieces of fabric and it was a disaster. But just kept trying. You really need to have your machine set down in the table for larger quilts and it does help to wear the gloves. I can't do anything fancy, just stipple meander and cross hatch. This may sound crazy but I do my cross hatch free motion too. I have tried doing some leaves and they looked okay but no good enough yet. What part is not going right for you maybe I can help.